I was originally planning on using basil instead of oregano but the grocery store was out. I’m using a poolish for this recipe, which in hindsight isn’t really necessary since the sun dried tomato will overpower any extra flavour a pre-ferment will add. This recipe should make 6 120g buns, but I lost too much dough on the spoon, my hands, and the bowl and was only able to make 5.
Sun Dried Tomato, Oregano and Roasted Garlic Buns
Buns with sun dried tomatoes, oregano and roasted garlic.
- 119 g Bread flour
- 120 g Water
- 1/4 tsp Yeast
- 239 g Poolish
- 238 g Bread flour
- 84 g Water
- 5 g Salt
- 2 g Yeast
- 33 g Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 1 g Freshly ground pepper
- 19 g Roasted garlic
- 5 g Fresh oregano
- The day before making the bread, mix 119g bread flour with 1/4 tsp yeast, add 120g water and mix until there is no dry flour.
- Let the mixture sit covered for about 2 hours or until it becomes bubbly, then refrigerate overnight.
- Take the poolish out of the fridge an hour before making the bread
- Roast the garlic
- Mix 5g salt, 2g yeast, and 1g pepper with 238g bread flour
- Chop up 33g sun dried tomato's and 5 g oregano and mix with the flour
- Add 84g water and 239g poolish and stir until a ball forms.
- Knead for 10 minutes on a lightly floured or oiled surface, or use a mixer with the dough hook attachment for 5 minutes or until it passes the window pane test
- Put in a lightly oiled bowl and cover for about an hour, or until doubled in size
- Shape in to 5 120g buns. I had about 35 grams of dough left over, and cut it up into 5 pieces and added it to the buns.
- Cover and let rise for about 40 minutes
- Preheat oven to 218C/425F 10 minutes before putting the buns in the oven
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the internal temperature is 90C/190F
© 2021 Copyright Garden of Kneadin'
I’ll be trying to improve this recipe in a future post, next time I’ll use basil, add more roasted garlic and not use a poolish.
Sun Dried Tomato 14.0%